Monday, February 23, 2009

Family Mysteries

Every person trying to trace a family comes across mysteries, what some might call "brick walls." Some of those mysteries involve missing data and some may relate to the way others have interpreted data.

When I started doing family research over 40 years ago, I was very happy to accept what others had written about my ancestors. I neatly filed away those donated family group sheets and figured I wouldn't have to worry about those lines. But, as time went on, I decided to at least send away for vital records. About 10 years ago, my Christmas gift to each of my children, now grown, was a binder filled with copies of those family group sheets and any records that I had collected.

Within the last few years, I decided to do more to "flesh out" my ancestors. I corresponded with cousins and joined message boards and mailing lists and subscription websites. I made two trips to Salt Lake City, went on a Genealogy Cruise, and attended several conferences. The more I looked, the more I realized I didn't know. I now have numerous mysteries to try to solve. Following posts will detail some of the mysteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment